Gone in 15 seconds! Two 20-storey tower blocks are blasted to rubble in a controlled explosion after ‘being built illegally and left empty for nine years‘ in China

Advertisement

Two illegal tower blocks in were yesterday demolished in an impressive controlled explosion involving 1.1 tonnes of dynamites. 

The high-rises, both unfinished and 20 storeys, were blown into smithereens within 15 seconds in a city centre after being left untouched for nine years, according to a local newspaper.

There are numerous illegal buildings like these in China, a phenomenon that has caused much headache to authorities in the rapidly urbanised country. 

It‘s begun: The first building starts to collapse during a controlled demolition involving 1.1 tonnes of dynamites in China

Quickly disappearing: The two buildings in the city of Zhengzhou, Henan Province, were deemed illegal by the authorities

Structures can be deemed unlawful by Chinese authorities when the developers erect them on plots without planning permission or breaking rules during the construction process. 

The controlled explosion took place yesterday afternoon near a busy junction in the city of Zhengzhou, central China‘s Henan Province. 

The two towers, eight metres apart from each other, had been built by residents of the Changzhai Village through raised funds, reported local .

Reduced to rubble: They go down one after another in quick succession after experts carefully planned the explosion

Where is the mask? The 15-second demolition kicks up a dust storm in the city centre where a high-end complex will be built

Ground was broken in 2006 and the core part of the construction was completed in 2010, the report said.

Receive News & Ratings Via Email - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.

Soon after, authorities ordered the project to be halted, but the report did not explain why the structures were deemed illegal. 

Zhengzhou city planners said on Wednesday that the buildings had been earmarked for demolition to make room for a new project initiated by the government. 

‘This explosion has used the largest quantity of dynamites in the residential projects in Zhengzhou. [The amount] was seven times more than what we had used to blow up rocks,‘ Fang Guifu, chief engineer of the demolition project, told Dahe. 

Blink you‘ll miss it! The dust quickly rises into the air before being subdued by mist blasted out from eight huge cannons

Aftermaths: The government plans to build a high-end residential complex, luxurious hotels and huge shopping malls here

Before the explosion, workers drilled 7,263 holes on the structures before embedding 1.176 tonnes of dynamites, 9,160 detonators and 3,500 metres (2.1 miles) of detonating fuses. They also dug ditches around the site in a bid to reduce the impact to nearby buildings.

The two towers were brought down one after another in rapid succession.  

Mist cannons were at the scene to reduce air pollution. 

Dust control: Authorities sent eight cannons to blast mist into the air to improve the air quality after the explosion (file photo)

Carrying a huge water at the back, those dust-control machines are often used in fighting smog in China. 

Yesterday, a fleet of eight of them blasted mist into the air to disperse the dust over busy streets right after the explosion.

The Zhengzhou government is planning to build a high-end residential complex, luxurious hotels and huge shopping malls in the area. 

Advertisement